Monday, December 24, 2012

Preparing for Christmas

Today is Christmas Eve. The packages are wrapped and under the tree and in the arm chair next to it. They're so pretty and festive. Decorating was difficult this year because I was out of town the week after Thanksgiving. I realized that week is the quietest and most convenient time for me to decorate. I've always spent that time fine-tuning the decorations. I missed it this year. My house only has a couple of things on the front porch, a couple of things in the living room, and a tree with nonfunctional lights. I just didn't have the time I usually do. It's nice and festive, but not like usual. The tree is a year old. We bought it last year because it was white and really pretty. This year, it's yellow and there seems to be more female ends of the light strings than males, and we couldn't figure out how to plug them in. Because we were short of time, we decided we didn't need lights after all. And, for the most part, I don't miss them. So, this tree is going on the porch with give-away things next time someone wants them.

I babysat one Friday night with my grandsons, and we decorated their tree. It was up with a few blue candy canes, and my grandson and I put the balls on it. It looked much better after we finished. Someone dug out the tree top and topped it off. When they were out of town, I put some lights on their front bushes. They were so surprised and pleased. I could only find one string, so that's what I used. I also put garland and lights on their banister, but I couldn't plug it in; I'm hoping they have an extension cord for that.

Now I'm getting ready to make my food bouquets to take to my sister's this evening and my daughter's tomorrow. They'll have broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots, olives, sweet gherkins, baby corn, 2 cheeses, turkey, ham, apples, pears, cantaloupe, honeydew, kiwi, grapes, grape tomatoes, red, yellow, and orange peppers, strawberries, bananas, cucumbers. Some will be dipped in chocolate, and I'll take ranch dip and whipped cream. I hope they work. If not, I'll have lots to snack on for a while.

I snacked more than usual yesterday, so I'm definitely taking the Perfect Solutions furnished PGX pill this evening to keep the snacking down at my sister's. I'm having a beet smoothie for lunch and one for dinner tomorrow evening. Since I've been eating smoothies, I haven't lost much weight. I realized it's because I'm eating twice as much fruit. I have to be more careful about that. I'm going to incorporate them in my plan and work out snacks so they include vegetables instead of fruit - hence, the beet smoothie. I had it with just beets and a whole cucumber, and it was delicious. Either it was or I'm just getting used to them. I really like the canned beets much better. I found HEB brand with just beets and water. I love the color - bright magenta. Not too much bright magenta food in the past, but my almond milk/blueberries and cherries smoothies have been a muted purple, and now the magenta beet smoothies. Very beautiful and colorfully delicious!

Since I have Altar Guild (again) for Christmas, I'll take care of the services this evening and prepare for tomorrow morning's service. Then we'll head to my sister's for the family gathering.

I'm so glad my dad is doing so much better. We thought he wouldn't make it to Christmas because he was so sick a couple of weeks ago. We saw a miracle! He turned the corner and started improving day by day. He's even planning to move into his little house maybe this week. I'll be glad when he does that.

Anyway Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home