Saturday, February 9, 2013

Rainy Saturday wandering

Today I left the house early so I could stop by Walgreen's to get a memory card for my camera so I could take pictures of the Mardi Gras parade. I found the cards and they had a package of two 4 GB and a package of one 8 GB for the same price. I thought they were $19.99. So I chose the two 4 GB cards. While I was there, I noticed a clock that said it was quiet with no ticking for $19.99. I was looking for that exact thing because the clocks I had all ticked and they kept me up at night. At the check out, the clerk said my total was $56. I found out my choice of memory cards was actually $31.99, so I headed back to the display. I saw the 8 GB was $25.99, so I chose that instead. When I checked out, I used my Walgreen's card and the memory card was actually only $11.99, and if I wanted, I could redeem a $5 discount. All I had to do was give my zip code. Of course, I figured my zip code was worth $5, so my final total was less than $27! I left there feeling like I robbed the place.

My original plans for the day fell through, and I haven't had the luxury or time to shop in a few years. So I decided to shop for flooring just to see what my options are. I haven't ruled out carpeting, or removing the rest of the carpeting and redoing my concrete floors. I watch HGTV all the time and haven't seen anything I liked until today when they installed a vinyl floor with cork backing. That I liked. I was going to see if anything like that was available here in SA.

I left church and headed to a shop that I loved called Le Raggae, but it was closed. I remember the first time I walked in that store. I felt like I was in heaven. I loved the fabrics, the decor, the smell - everything about that store. It was my decorating taste from one end to the other. I couldn't wait to visit it again, but it was gone - waaa.

At the other end of that shopping center was Too Good To Be Threw furniture and home accessories. I found a bedroom set with headboard, entertainment center, and night stands for $699.99 that was interesting. I wish I had thought of taking a photo of it. Maybe I would have talked myself into or out of it. I found out they have a layaway plan, so that's a possibility.

Rather than have to cross traffic, I turned right on Blanco with no particular place in mind, and I turned into the next shopping center. Nothing interesting there except a new age store that looked interesting. I didn't want to go in alone; I was afraid they might make me drink Kool Aid or something like that. So I continued down Blanco. Then I remembered about Furniture for a Cause, that supports SAMMinistries. I had shopped there a few times before, and actually bought the 2 upholstered parson chairs at my dining table there. Their furniture quality has really improved since my last visit. They had some really nice sofas, chairs, coffee tables and bedroom furniture. I didn't see anything that made my heart skip a beat, though. I did like a couple of desk chairs, and there were 4 upholstered dining room chairs for $119 each. But they may be too low for my table.

I headed back up Blanco and turned on Jackson-Keller. I remembered I was supposed to be looking for flooring stores. The one I did see was on the 410 access road, but I couldn't get to it from Jackson-Keller, so I ended up in the next center with the Arthur Murray dance studio where I went to Laughter Yoga. There wasn't anything there that was interesting, except maybe American Housekeeping(?). I might have to give them a call sometime to see what their services include.

When I entered 410, right there at Vance Jackson, the traffic was pretty heavy, so I just stayed in the right lane and ended up on 10 and Wurzbach at Colonies North, so I decided to check it out. I passed the Big Lots! and found a Tuesday Morning. The store was messy, everything in disarray, and lots of bargains. I went up and down the aisles with a shopping cart even though I really had no plans to buy anything. I found glow-in-the-dark gazing balls, so I picked out a blue one to take to my daughter's. Then I saw the rugs. They have a big variety of 5x7 rugs for $149.99, and several soft, fluffy, white shag rugs that are so soft to the touch. I had to feel each one. They felt sooo good. I found some 8x10 rugs as well. I think they were $299.99. I hadn't planned to spend much money, so I reluctantly left them and found a couple of throw rugs for 9.99 that I was comfortable buying. But the shags kept calling me back. I probably went to that rug area 4 times and ran my hands through the shag several times each trip. I found a pretty decorated box that looks like a suitcase for my granddaughter. And I finally decided that if someone would get the rug and roll it for me, I'd buy it. Once I asked for help with the rugs, I felt like I was committed.

I ended up spending $190.26 at Tuesday Morning and it took a few minutes to figure out how to get the 5' rug into my 4' car. I tried wedging it in the back seat and just pushing the door closed. That didn't work. So I decided to angle it, and it was still too long. I finally had to lower the back of the passenger seat and climb in the back seat to lift the rug into the space I'd made. I ended up with 3 of the 4 doors open trying to get that thing in the car. I was determined to get that rug in the car. I'm just glad it wasn't heavy - just awkward. I was pretty proud of myself for finally wrangling it into the car.

I grabbed something to eat and headed home. The rug is now in the living room under the coffee table, and it really adds something to the room.

After all that, I took a nap and then headed to Ding How for the Passport dinner with a group of coworkers and their friends and families. On the way home, I stopped at Floor & Decor and walked up and down the aisles looking at what they had. Nothing made my heart skip a beat there either.

They have tiles of all sizes for floors, counters, or walls. I don't want a tile backsplash in my kitchen because I don't want to have to scrub it to keep it clean. I'm thinking something solid and smooth is more my taste. Right now, my backsplash is wallpaper, which is easy to keep clean. Everyone at Floor & Decor was really nice. I told each who asked if I needed any help that I was just getting started, and this was my first trip. They would be seeing me again.

I had a good day, and so far I've walked 6500 steps. I'm really going to have to step up my game to get to 10,000.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home