Sunday, July 18, 2010

Weight Loss Journey, Preparing for the Journey, 10-07-18

I weighed when I awoke, and according to my scale (not official mind you), I weigh 220. I actually weighed about 225 yesterday on my scale (not official). So, I'm already making progress.

This weight loss journey is so much like taking a trip. First I had to decide where to go, and if it was worth the trouble, planning, work, etc.

Now that I've decided to go to 135, I have to pack. Picking out recipes and preparing a shopping list is much like packing for a long trip. Once I picked out several new recipes, my first thought was to get all I needed. But history tells me that too much is not a good thing. Like taking too many clothes, buying too many fresh ingredients is not smart. I usually tire of cooking something new every night, and the rest of the food spoils.

I culled my list of new recipes and made a list of groceries to get for those. I've spent about 3 hours just planning the menu for this week! Now I'm ready to shop. I have my calculator and budget. Shopping will take at least an hour or more. It's kind of exciting to see what I actually end up with. Hopefully I'll have enough for several good new meals. I've decided on the Salisbury Steak, Beef Stroganoff, Chicken Parmigiano, Black Beans with Rice, Pasta Salad, Oatmeal Scones, Black-Eyed Pea Salad, Macaroni Salad, Fettuccine Alfredo, Ricotta-Parmesan Pasta, Scallops with Green Pesto, and Italian-Style Swiss Steak

After 1-1/2 hours of shopping, I finally got home with lots of goodies, overspending my budget by $40! The only thing I didn't have with me was my Weight Watchers Points counter.

I decided to fix the Scallops with Green Pesto from the Weight Watchers Favorite Homestyle Recipes cookbook. I liked it. I chose to buy the pesto instead of making it, and the brand I chose didn't have much flavor. I used to buy a packet that I added olive oil to, but I couldn't find it this time. My son didn't like the crunchy of the almonds which contrasted with the "squishy" scallops and pasta. Once I added salt, I thought it was delicious. There's lots left, so I hope it tastes good as leftovers ;O).

Scallops with Green Pesto

Pesto (I used a jar)
1 c chopped scallions
1 c fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 c fresh basil leaves
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil

Scallops
1 lb, 2 oz bay scallops
1 packet low-sodium instand chicken broth mix
2 oz. toasted slivered almonds
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
4-12 cups hot cooked tricolor fusilli pasta (I used whole wheat)

1. To prepare pesto, in blender, combine scallions, parsley, basil, cheese, garlic, and oil until just blended; set aside.
2. In large skillet, bring 1 cup water to a boil; add scallops. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until scallops just turn opaque, about 3 minutes.
3. With slotted spoon, transfer scallops to large serving bowl; reserve poaching liquid. Add remaining ingredients, pesto, and 1/2 cup reserved liquid. Toss well to combine. Serve immediately.

6 Servings

Per serving: 294 calories, 22 g protein, 11 g fat, 28 g carbohydrate, 146 mg calcium, 306 mg sodium, 31 mg cholesterol, 2 g dietary fiber.

Weight Watchers points: 6

Pinto Beans
I decided to make some pinto beans last night, so I soaked them overnight. I started cooking them first thing when I got up. Then I headed to the store and forgot about them being on the stove. By the time I remembered them, the water had cooked away. I'm eating them anyway. I have never made a good pot of beans. They are supposed to be so easy to make. Even my Dad makes good beans. But, alas, the bean cooking gene skipped me.

I grew up with beans and cornbread, so I decided to make cornbread to go with my beans. When I got to the milk in the recipe, I realized the carton was bad, so I used water instead. Not a good substitute. The cornbread is completely tasteless.

At least one meal worked out OK! ;O)

Food:
2 servings Oatmeal (need the fiber and quality to lower cholesterol) with 3 tsp sugar.
17 green grapes
1 serving of the Scallops with Green Pesto
1 apple
3 cups of homemade pinto beans
1 serving of cornbread
2 spoonfuls of Scallops
1 pkg of WW Cheese Twists
16 oz skim milk with lite chocolate

Exercise:
15 minutes on exercise ball

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home