Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Memorial Weekend Babysitting

Have you noticed how many grandparents babysat this Memorial Weekend? It seems everyone I know had their grandchildren for the weekend.

I had a blast Memorial Weekend. I went to my daughter's house Saturday night so I could see their nighttime routine because I was going to babysit their 28-month old, my grandson, all by myself. They have a 2-story house, and I hate stairs, but that wasn't a problem for us over the weekend. While my daughter and son-in-law packed for several days in Cancun, I got Roc ready for bed. He took a bath in the kitchen sink, which is our tradition, and I prepared him for bed.

Sunday morning, I got up at 5:30, made coffee, got dressed, and was on the computer when I finally decided it was time to wake the rest of the family. Their alarm didn't go off, so we got off to a rocky start.

They made it to the airport in time, and Roc and I went to church. I was determined to be there for my birthday blessing. Roc, being a typical 2-1/2 year old, couldn't sit still in church, but he wasn't ready to go to the nursery either. I tried my best to stay but decided in the end to leave early, so I didn't get the blessing.

We had a good day. It was a combination of playing and watching movies. I managed to take a short nap. I hope Roc was asleep when I was. I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I made about 8 bowls of oatmeal that weekend. He couldn't get enough! At 7:00 both Sunday and Monday evenings, we went for a walk. He ran, pushed his bicycle, scooted on his bicycle, and generally wore himself out. That was the plan! After the walk, he took a bath and was ready for bed. Usually, that was the first time we went back upstairs.

Monday, I got up at 6:00, turned on the coffee pot, dressed and went back to bed so when Roc woke up, I'd be ready to take care of him and not have to get dressed. Another good plan. After breakfast, he wanted to go to the backyard. He played around a while, then he climbed in the battery-operated truck and drove it around. He's not good at turning, so I had to chase him down and help him steer away from the swing set, tree, and other things that got in his way. Then we headed to the grocery store.

I cannot believe how long his arms are! I kept the shopping cart in the middle of the isle to keep him from grabbing things. He behaved, but he was grabby ;O). He actually fell asleep on the way back home. Once we got back in the house, he fell asleep and slept for 3 hours. I managed to read, journal, and nap. Ahh, life was good!

Tuesday morning came too soon. I enjoyed my time with Roc. I can't wait to babysit him for a weekend again. I hope real soon!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home