Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Eyes, Part 4

I saw the fourth Ophthalmologist Friday, and by George, I think we're getting somewhere. He said my corneas are pointed in the middle instead of being flat. They took many photos, eye exams, and dilated them yet again.

This is the first time someone actually listened to me. Dr Fisher read my chart, asked questions, and listened to my answers. He let me think and made me feel like he really cares. The other guys liked to shine very bright lights into my eyes and then ask questions. It's hard to think sometimes anyway, and it's nearly impossible with a bright light shining in your eyes.

The next thing I have to do is make an appointment to be fitted with hard contacts. The contacts will hopefully flatten the points. He said I'll be fitted, but he doesn't guarantee I'll get the contacts.

I don't know when this condition happened. I'm thinking about a year and half ago. About the time I had my first knee replacement. I'm so glad it wasn't caused by a stroke like the first Ophthalmologist said. Or maybe it was.

The good news is that I don't have any symptoms of a stroke. My brain looks good, no masses, nothing remarkable. My heart is in good shape, my arteries are good, my carotid arteries are good (not perfect), but "consistent with someone my age." That's a scary thought: someone my age. I sometimes feel very old. Actually, I'll see how old I feel Tuesday when I'm going through my stress test. When I was 50, I had a chemical stress test done because my knees were so bad that I didn't think I could handle the treadmill. It was 2 minutes of extreme weirdness. So strange. While I was on the table hooked up to the IV, an 80-year-old lady was on the treadmill -- what's wrong with that picture?

Now, I'm 8 years older, and I'm going to do the treadmill! I'm so excited! We've been walking 1-1/2 to 2 miles 2 times a week, stopping only because it's soooo dang hot! I think I can do as long as they want me on the treadmill. At least, I'm up to the challenge!

Life is awesome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home