Saturday, September 4, 2010

My Plate is Full!

I do this to myself all the time. When life gets comfortable, and I can finally rest, I say "yes" to something that seems harmless. Then before I know it, I've said yes to more somethings until they all seem to pile up on me. In May, I said I'd give a speech at a leadership workshop. I gave a similar speech in January about effective communication. I'm assuming the person who called me liked the topic because she was in the audience in January.

My segment of the workshop is an hour, so I thought I'd knock out an advanced Toastmaster speech project and speak for 15-20 minutes. So, for the past 3-1/2 months, I've had this in the back of my mind -- I need to prepare for this speech. Then I sat down several weeks ago and put the material together. It was way too long, and I finally got to whittle it down last weekend. That's great! Well, that speech is so long I can't even make myself read it! Can you imagine what it would be like for the audience? I was thinking that when someone I consider a Toastmaster mentor called me to ask how I was doing with the speech. He suggested I do some audience interaction. I found the perfect thing to do. A Communications Assessment. Now I have to give it Sept. 15! And I've not even read through it more than 2 times! I'm so glad my mentor called. He helped me get over the hump.

Now, I have this speech to prepare for. I just finished putting together a newsletter that I do every other month. Work is crazy because we've had to split up the work of a co-worker who is no longer with us, and her work is added to my already full plate. Then we started working on a proposal that's keeping me at the office all weekend (Labor Day and all!), and 3 people on my team of 4 will be gone most of next week!!!

Calgon -- Take me away!! Do you remember that commercial? I'm heading to do just that!

I've been stress eating and not enjoying it because of a med I'm taking that seems to have robbed me of my sense of taste. So you could say I have no taste ;O).

Food:
chicken sandwich (whole wheat bread with chicken lunch meat and dijon mustard)
2 whole wheat pancakes with syrup, 2 strips of bacon and 2 servings of fruit (banana slices, strawberries & grapes)
pad tai
salad with delicious shrimp
spring roll
slice of ice cream cake
2 chalupa shells with refried beans

Exercise:
4817 steps

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home