Monday, March 15, 2010

2000 - Part 1: The Drama Queen

There have been 2 years that were very full. 1998 was one, and 2000 was the other.

I started back to school in earnest in 1990 to get a BBA in Marketing from St. Mary's University. The last thing I had to do before graduation in May 2000 was turn in a paper. After doing so, I went home, took off my jacket, and declared out loud, "It's time for another chapter!" The words were barely out of my mouth when I heard an ambulance go past the house, and a few minutes later, I got a phone call -- My son had been in an accident.

I grabbed my jacket and rushed to the house 4 blocks away where the ambulance was putting my son on a stretcher to take him to the emergency room. He was talking and moving, which was a good sign.

It seems that he was hanging on the front of a mini-van when the driver stopped, and he lost his grip, landing flat on his back on the street, cracking his skull.

I met the ambulance at the University Hospital emergency room, along with a couple of the other mothers and called my ex. When he arrived at the hospital, he made sure he was the center of attention. He was white as a sheet, and he kept exclaiming "Oh my God, Oh my God!" Before I knew it, the staff in the emergency room was taking care of him and leaving my son alone. They were getting him a glass of water and making sure he was comfortable. I couldn't believe it!

It's funny -- now that I'm writing this, I realize that I never quite forgave him for that.

He has always been the center of attention. At parties, people would gather around him to listen to his stories. His stories were funny, outrageous, and true. He is a great host, always remembering to offer guests a drink or a snack. When we were in the hospital with our son, several of his friends came to visit. My sister, brother-in-law, and a couple of dear friends are the only people I knew who came to visit.

I realized during that time in the hospital and rehab how important it is to have someone visit you. I vowed that I would get over myself and go to visit friends when they were hospitalized or recuperating. Because, it's truly about them, not me and how I can contribute. Just having someone there to help get a drink of water or fill the emptiness of the hospital room is a huge help.

Who's the drama queen now?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home